mindless drivel
Wednesday, November 10, 2004
  post-work happy hour, oh how i hate thee
I don't particularly get along with the people I work with. It's not really that I don't like them, I just don't relate to them. For one, the average age in my department is about 22. For most of them, this is their first post-college job. Most are not married and have no kids. Most are still clinging desperately to their college years, which included binge drinking, fraternity-belonging, and expensive-private-school-attending. Maybe I just missed out on the whole college experience, but I was never into the whole get-drunk-every-other-night-and-wake-up-in-strange-locations-and-don't-know-how-I-got-there thing even when I was in college. Now that I'm more then six years out of college, I certainly have no interest in those things (okay, technically I was in graduate school as recent as eleven months ago, but when you're 27 years old, raising a baby, working, and studying eighty hours a week, I don't think it counts).

I have really tried to get along with the people I work with. But conversations I like to participate in don't generally revolve around drinking, throwing up, and hazing. And to make matters worse, I'm the "new guy," having just started on this team about two months ago. So people have probably formed one or more of the following opinions of me at this point: a) I'm a prude, b) I'm a snob, or c) I'm incredibly shy. I'm sorry if I don't contribute to your conversation, but I really do have nothing to add. When the conversation comes down to how certain fraternities' hazing rituals compare to those of competing fraternities, what am I supposed to say? My true feelings? That I think hazing is silly and that fraternities are basically just a way for rich kids to buy friends? And when talk shifts to preferred drinks, can I tell them that I like Pepsi and iced tea?

This all brings me to yesterday, the day of the "team happy hour," when all members of my team get together and do the same thing, only this time with alcohol directly involved, as opposed to just as the main topic of conversation. As you can imagine, I had absolutely zero interest in spending real money and real time to go to this, but there was this tremendous peer pressure. "Come on, it'll be fun." So I ran through all the potential excuses in my mind: "I don't want to go." This would never work. It only leads to more whining about how much fun it will be. "I don't drink." Then I'm destined to be completely alcohol-free for my working life. "I don't like you people." No comment. "I'm a recovering alcoholic." That would make them feel guilty for pushing all the alcohol on me, but it would also lead to lots of gossip. "My wife and kid have been sick and I need to go home and take care of them." This is the one I went with, and it's even kind of true. They were sick over the last couple of weeks. We all were. It was miserable. We're all pretty much better now. But I can still go home and take care of them, right? You'd think this would be good enough. You'd be wrong, though. They just told me, in so many words, to ditch the fam, come out and have fun.

I chuckled politely and went on my way. How funny, you're telling me to desert my family to go get drunk with people I don't like. Good one. I just think if I don't want to participate in their drinking activities, that's my decision. What if I was a recovering alcoholic? They don't know me. For all they know I am a recovering alcoholic. Do you really want to be responsible for my falling off the wagon? Well, do you?!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Observations from a guy who no longer lives in Texas and really doesn't have very much free time.


go home!
Amazon Wish List
Amazon Reviews!
gmail monger187!

some ads!


Chitika!


Dallas Real Estate
San Antonio Real Estate

george burns old
laser zapping update
2 months + 1 day post laser zapping
html programmer i ain't
bailey on the refrigerator 
when's my cat going to die?
i voted, and i have the sticker to prove it
i've been disenfranchised
me 2/3, hideous dent 0
babe ruth lives in my car
a scary thought for sox fans

methuselah old
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
February 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
May 2009

blogroll

Blogroll Me!

some other stuff
Chris Rose Leather Design
Chuy's
Deep Thoughts
The Smoking Gun
Wikipedia Random Article

even more stuff
Atom Site Feed
Who Links Here



Add to Google


Listed on BlogShares

Where's George?



hey, a clever emdee button!

legalese
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
counters