mindless drivel
Tuesday, November 09, 2004
  laser zapping update
Okay, I just heard back from the good doctor today. I would post his email reply, but I think that would probably break all sorts of ethical, legal, and regulatory statutes. The gist of it is this (paraphrased): "Don't worry, you'll get better as you continue to heal, it takes 3-6 months to fully recover from LASIK. You were at 20/15 (left) and 20/20 (right) a month ago, so long term results should be good."

I'm reminded of some of the ads that tell you how LASIK patients heal almost immediately. I think the marketing of LASIK needs some serious attention. I still hear ads on the radio and on TV that make it seem like: a) you are guaranteed to see better than you could ever see with glasses or contacts, b) you will recover from the surgery almost instantaneously, in a day or two tops, c) with your new eyes you will be able to see through walls and women's clothing, and shoot lasers out of your eyes at bad guys. Okay, that last one is a bit exaggerated, but the other two get thrown around all the time.

"Throw away your glasses," they all say. While it's true that I no longer need glasses, I have not yet thrown them away. I really don't know why. They will do me no good, unless I feel nostalgic for that warm, "fuzzy" (get it?) feeling of being nearly blind. I threw away my contacts, but they were disposable. I never really wore glasses, only on my way from the bathroom to bed and back. Do I still get to symbolically throw them away? As for recovery, it's important to note that there are different levels of "recovery." Yes, in a sense, you recover very quickly. You can open your eyes the same day, light rays will enter your eyes, your brain will interpret those light rays into images of some sort. But when you really consider that your vision will fluctuate, your night vision might be awful, your eyes might be very dry, and you might be very sensitive to light, all for a period of 3-6 months or more, well, their definition of "recovery" doesn't really make sense, now does it?

As you know, it's been two months and one day. Things are indeed getting better for me. I can now "rub my eyes vigorously." Ahhhh...But I realize now that recovery is still incomplete. I specifically chose Dr. G because his office did not have those crazy ad campaigns with all the unsubstantiated claims. And I did enough homework beforehand to at least have an idea about what the next few months would hold. But there are countless others out there, spending thousands of dollars to get their eyes zapped every day, whose expectations will never be met. As Mr. T would say, "I pity the fool."
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Observations from a guy who no longer lives in Texas and really doesn't have very much free time.


go home!
Amazon Wish List
Amazon Reviews!
gmail monger187!

some ads!


Chitika!


Dallas Real Estate
San Antonio Real Estate

george burns old
2 months + 1 day post laser zapping
html programmer i ain't
bailey on the refrigerator 
when's my cat going to die?
i voted, and i have the sticker to prove it
i've been disenfranchised
me 2/3, hideous dent 0
babe ruth lives in my car
a scary thought for sox fans
my political rant

methuselah old
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
February 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
May 2009

blogroll

Blogroll Me!

some other stuff
Chris Rose Leather Design
Chuy's
Deep Thoughts
The Smoking Gun
Wikipedia Random Article

even more stuff
Atom Site Feed
Who Links Here



Add to Google


Listed on BlogShares

Where's George?



hey, a clever emdee button!

legalese
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
counters