mindless drivel
Tuesday, October 26, 2004
  my political rant
Raise your hand if you too are absolutely sick of this election nonsense. Okay, now put your hand down, you look pretty darn silly. Seriously, I really don't understand why things are so heated and divided when it comes to this election. As far as I'm concerned, it might as well be Barney Fife vs. Gomer Pyle. Yes, I think most of us agree that Bush does not exactly have a stellar record. But then again, Kerry has been a Senator for something like 20 years, and his only legacy is...uh, I can't think of even a single thing.

I know, I know, I need to do my civic duty and "go out and vote." I'm well aware that all of the celebrities, including but not limited to P. Diddy, think I should vote. And Michael Moore will not give me any free underwear if I don't. So before you come down here and chew my ear off for not doing my "civic duty," let me tell you that I do intend to vote for one of these guys. Although I don't see why it's any better if I flip a coin and vote. Is that really the best thing for our country? For everybody to vote, no matter how ignorant or indifferent they are? Perhaps not voting is my way of saying that I don't want either one of them. Or maybe instead of holding an election, we should just have one big official coin flip for all the marbles. You know that the 49.999% who don't get the guy they want will be calling "shenanigans" anyway.

My problem is that I have no real passion one way or the other. The best I can say about the guy I'm going to vote for is that I think he's the lesser of two evils. Sure, I know he's probably not going to go down as the best President ever, but I think he's probably going to be better than the other guy. How can anybody out there really have a stronger opinion than this? Nothing that either candidate has said or done has made me feel any more confident that he knows what he's talking about.

How can someone feel true passion for Bush when he's sent so many troops to fight in Iraq under the presumption that there were weapons of mass destruction, only to find that there were none? Just like the weapons inspectors kept trying to tell us. And when he took a perfectly good budget surplus and turned it into a huge budget deficit?

On the other hand, how can you be passionate about Kerry when the only thing he seems to have going for him is that his name is not spelled B-U-S-H? Or when he states that he has "deep religious convictions," but he says that it's not going to affect his decisions in any way? You can't have it both ways!

But so many people seem willing to come to blows about one guy or the other. Why? The way I see it is that one guy definitely sucks at being President, the other guy sucks at being Senator and will probably suck at being President. I just don't see how there are so many people so passionate about either one of these guys. Here's my take: people are passionate because it's a close race. It's a close race because they're both poor candidates. People are not passionate because these candidates are strong or competent. Maybe it's more of a fear that the "other" guy wins than confidence in their own guy.

I've really tried to make this an apolitical blog. And I think it is. I have not gone on any political rants. I'm not even going to tell you who I'm voting for. That's my business. And the coin's. I'm no political expert, just a regular guy who watches the news when I'm too lazy to change the channel after the Simpsons. And I will be happy when it's all over.

I'm monger187 and I approve this message.
 
Comments:
I know how you feel! :) Same here in my country, sometimes I feel like I don't want to vote anymore because most of the candidates are corrupt. But I also think that If I will not vote, I will be wasting a chance for those honest candidates and change my country.

"Oliver" for cire orientale 
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Observations from a guy who no longer lives in Texas and really doesn't have very much free time.


go home!
Amazon Wish List
Amazon Reviews!
gmail monger187!

some ads!


Chitika!


Dallas Real Estate
San Antonio Real Estate

george burns old
fun with the yahoo buzz index
parking woes
none of this is real
speechless
gearing up for the big showdown
more microsoft bashing
ice cream of the future
stop saying dude, dude
the 10 dorkiest cars
a watched blog never boils

methuselah old
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
February 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
May 2009

blogroll

Blogroll Me!

some other stuff
Chris Rose Leather Design
Chuy's
Deep Thoughts
The Smoking Gun
Wikipedia Random Article

even more stuff
Atom Site Feed
Who Links Here



Add to Google


Listed on BlogShares

Where's George?



hey, a clever emdee button!

legalese
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
counters