mindless drivel
Thursday, October 07, 2004
  where are you from?
"Where are you from?" Seems like a simple enough question, right? But I never know how to answer that question. Yes, yes, I know, my blog tagline is "observations from a guy in Texas with too much free time." Or something like that. And yes, I am from Texas. Sort of. I wasn't born here. I haven't lived here my whole life. I live here now. Most of the people who ask me this are also in Texas. I can't answer their question "I'm from Texas." So I fumble around with a lengthy response about how I just moved here from A, but I lived in B before that, and I was born in C, but I also lived in D, E, and F, with a short stint in G. And that's the truth. Well, okay, the places I lived have real names, not letters, but let's not give anything away too early. I realize that nobody really cares where you are from. It's just an ice-breaking question intended to have a one word answer. That's how this system works.

Person A: Where are you from?

Person B: Pittsburgh

Person A: Oh really? My great-aunt's next door neighbor once had a layover in Pittsburgh!

Person B: Oh yeah, what part?

Person A: The part with the airport I think.

And bla, bla, bla, the conversation goes on and eventually ends up with great laughs, fun, and broken ice, whether it stays in Pittsburgh or not.

I know what you're all thinking, "just pick a place, say you're from there and quit whining, you pathetic little cry-baby." You are all very mean people. Besides, it's not that simple. I want to make sure I get my story straight. What if, before I decided to pick a place, I told someone that I was from Greenfield, Massachusetts, then that person hears me tell someone else I'm from Enterprise, Alabama? It would be utter chaos. I'd be called out and exposed as a fraud.

The hardest part is when someone where I live now asks me this question. If someone from somewhere else asks me where I'm from, it's simple: "Dallas, Texas." But when someone in Dallas asks, that's a different story. Can I just say I'm from Dallas? Why not? I live here, too! How long do I have to live here to be "from" here? Is "where I'm from" the last place I lived? But I was there for less than a year. Is it the place I was born? I haven't been there since I was 8. Is it the place I went to high school? Am I doomed to be "from" El Paso my entire life just because I spent a few years there in the early 90's?

Sometimes I think I should move away from Texas so I could just say "I'm from Texas" and that would be the end of it. When you're in Chicago and you say you're from Texas, nobody ever asks questions. Because to people outside of Texas, it doesn't make a difference. It's all cowboys, lassoes, and tumbleweeds anyway, right? But then this sometimes leads to an even more annoying conversation: the pop vs. soda conversation. I hate this conversation. Yet, for some reason, this topic comes up every single time you have a gathering of any kind where two people live in different places. "What do you call it down there, 'sodie pop'?" I don't know, what difference does it make? But this is very important to some people. We must mock the people who say it wrong. "You say 'pop.' That sounds so stupid! Let's all laugh at the 'pop' guy!" Millions of starving children in the world, and we're sitting here talking about carbonated beverages. Just drop it already!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Observations from a guy who no longer lives in Texas and really doesn't have very much free time.


go home!
Amazon Wish List
Amazon Reviews!
gmail monger187!

some ads!


Chitika!


Dallas Real Estate
San Antonio Real Estate

george burns old
a tale of two mortgage company guys
traffic conditions and the drivers who create them
big tex is a big sellout
big tex
welcome to my world...i mean, my blog
they zapped me with lasers

methuselah old
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
February 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
May 2009

blogroll

Blogroll Me!

some other stuff
Chris Rose Leather Design
Chuy's
Deep Thoughts
The Smoking Gun
Wikipedia Random Article

even more stuff
Atom Site Feed
Who Links Here



Add to Google


Listed on BlogShares

Where's George?



hey, a clever emdee button!

legalese
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
counters